If you remember the last time you had a stiff or aching neck, you’ll probably recall how nagging and uncomfortable it was. Neck pain can happen due to many reasons such as poor posture, soft tissue irregularities, injuries, or in more serious cases, the effects of tumors or other diseases.
While it may be very difficult to prevent the effects of a condition from forming in your neck, exercising it can potentially strengthen it and prevent aches and pains as a result of injuries or posture. At Total Pain Care, we have the perfect set of exercises to help you stay away from pain.
Work it Out
It’s important to understand that before you begin the exercises, make sure to have the right head position to prevent further injury. To begin, square off your head with your shoulders, move it forward in a straight line, then back. The position your head reaches in the back will be the best starting point. You will do five reps and steadily build up to 10 for each of the following workouts.
- Head rotations – Start in a standing or sitting position then slowly turn your head to both sides as far as possible without forcing yourself. Make sure to hold the maximum turning position for 10 seconds then slowly work your way up.
- Shoulder Circle – This simple exercise is done by standing, lifting your shoulders upward, then moving them in a circular motion, both forward and backward.
- Side Stretches – Get in a standing position and slowly move your head sideways. The aim of this exercise is to stretch your neck muscles by moving your ears on either side as close to the shoulder as possible.
- Resistance – Rest your right hand on the right side of your head just above the ear. Slowly put pressure on your head while resisting the motion with your neck. Repeat with the left hand.
- Head Lifts – Start this exercise by lying flat on your back, lifting your knees and keeping your feet flat on the ground. Slowly lift your head and lower it while keeping your shoulders on the ground. Repeat this motion while lying on both sides and on your stomach.
No More Pain
Sometimes, no matter what you try, pain can be too much to handle. If you or a loved one finds themselves in this situation, know that Total Pain Care is ready to help. Our pain-management specialists are ready to evaluate your injury to determine which form of treatment best fits your needs. Don’t wait any longer and contact us in New Jersey for more information.